Bear's Paw Country Club, Inc. was developed by Canada's Shelter Corporation in 1980. A total of 296 residences were built, consisting of 192 condominiums, 90 villas and 15 homes. Five years later, in 1985 the members took control of Bear's Paw and purchased the remaining open memberships.
The Clubhouse and most of the residences face the 18-hole, par 72, 7,067-yard Jack Nicklaus Signature Course, his first in Southwest Florida. In the mid-1980's, Nicklaus commented: "I am delighted to have an association with Bear's Paw as designer of the golf course and apartment owner. The course has a lot to offer the enthusiastic golfer and it should provide a challenge for golfers of all levels. I know you will join with me in describing [Bear's Paw] as one of the unique golfing communities in the nation."
The Bear's Paw property, which includes thirteen lakes, is bordered on the south by the Gordon Canal, on the west by the new Gordon River Greenway Park, on the north by Golden Gate Parkway and on the west by Airport-Pulling Road.
Bear's Paw is governed by the Board of Governors, comprised of nine members, each elected to a three-year term, with three Governors elected each February at the Annual meeting. Town Hall meetings of the membership are usually held in the fall and spring but may also be scheduled at additional times. General Membership meetings are usually held for the purpose of voting on various issues and club elections. Only a General Member may cast a vote at such meetings.
Club Facts, Amenities & Other Information
- Bears Paw Country Club consists of 245 acres located in Naples, Florida.
- Membership is currently limited to 296 residents and 31 non-resident members, with a total cap of 327 golf memberships. Membership is mandatory for residents.
- The security gate is manned 24 hours per day, 365 days a year.
- The 18-hole Jack Nicklaus Signature golf course with a putting area and driving range was the first on the West Coast of Florida and the only one in Naples playing to 7,067 yards.
- Brand new Clubhouse opened its doors for members on November 1, 2019.
- The Club offers a modern fitness center and aerobics room with well-trained staff and many fitness programs.
- Two Har-Tru tennis courts, two bocce courts and four new pickleball courts are also offered.
- A 16-slip marina with a boat ramp for member use offers access to the Gordon River and the Gulf of Mexico. Kayaks, canoes are also available.